I never really knew there is such a fruit called avocado before moving to Bay Area. I remember seeing it in various forms while eating at Mexican restaurants before, but I thought then that it is one of those ethnic food items that you really cannot understand.
In California, you cannot escape anything Mexican and Avocados are even advertised on radio. When I made Guacamole for the first time, I didn't know that I made Guacamole! It just turned out like that and somebody ate it recognized it for me! When I started off to make my first Guacamole, I thought it might make a good dip for tortilla chips if avocado would be mixed with chopped tomatoes, cilantro and onion and seasoned the mix with salt, freshly ground black pepper and olive oil.
Over a period of last 4-5 years, I perfected the recipe and it is now an essential item in any party that I host. And people love it.
Here is my recipe of my version of guacamole which is extremely easy to make and feel free to provide your feedback.
Ingredients
Avocado - 3 large
Red onion - 1/2
Tomato - 1 medium
Cilantro - 5 stalks
Thai green chili - 2 (optional)
Extra virgin olive oil - 1 tbsp
Fresh lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Black pepper
Salt
Steps
Open avocados and scoop the meat into a large bowl. Chop onion,tomato, cilantro stalks and green chili into very small pieces and add it to the bowl, and mix everything well. You can leave the avocado meat little short of becomning paste. (The store-bought guacamole is usually in a paste form and I hate it.)
Add olive oil, lemon juice and salt to the mix and grind black pepper directly to the bowl and mix again. Taste the mix, and add more salt and/or lemon juice to balance the taste.
Serve guacamole with tortilla chips.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Its rare fruit to a common man,will find to replace something else to Acacado....
ReplyDeleteSapna,
ReplyDeleteI don't know where you live, and so I cannot comment on the availability of avacado. But, somebody who just returned from vacation in Kerala told me that avocados are now in the market there. It goes by the name 'butter fruit' or something.